Our Mission is for you to ENJOY your horse and understand the feel of riding as one with your horse. Whether you are shopping for a horse or attending a clinic we expect you to leave feeling confident, inspired and motivated.
Every member of their family has helped Austyn.
Ryan knows just how hard he can push her and is the phone call she makes before a big run.
Jane helps her with her mental game and Austyn usually attends 2 or 3 of her clinics a year.
Colton helps us get our colts started and Cayla is the person in this world Austyn looks up to the most. Cayla has given Austyn multiple lessons and important advice. Cayla knows what it's like to compete at a high level at a young age.
We all have bad runs and Cayla has helped Austyn to deal with those days in a healthy way. I love how well Melbys treat their horses and we have learned a ton from them.
A few of the horses we have purchased are:
LGR Webbs Pride
2012 MN NBHA Youth 1D Champion. 2013 NBHA Youth World 6th place 1d, 2014 9th Youth World 1d, 3rd in the 1d 2013 BBR Regional Challenge
2011 UBRA Youth World Champion 2013 MN Open and Youth 1d Champion
2014 10th in the 1d NBHA Youth World, 2013 1st in the 1d BBR Regional Challenge
Cat Bar Annie qualified Austyn for NJHSF 2014
Merrisocks qualified Austyn for NJHSF 2015
Riley Youngman & Family
I first started attending Melby clinics when I was 9 years old. I have since been to several clinics a year. I have accomplished many goals because of the things they have taught me. I have gone from just competing to 4H and WSCA shows to being competitive in Jr High Rodeo and jackpots. Jane and Ryan make the perfect team. Ryan can explain things so I can easily understand what he is trying to get me to do. Jane’s words are always so inspiring, she makes me want to work hard to make my dreams come true. They have taught me everything from properly caring for a performance horse to taking care of myself. In 2014 I was finally old enough to join Jr. High Rodeo. When I needed a breakaway horse the first call we made was to Ryan. A few days later we were on our way to Oklahoma to try one out. At the time, I had never even roped off a horse, but Ryan and Colton were very patient helping me learn. I spent a few days riding Shorty, who was Colton’s heel horse. It didn’t take long to decide that he was coming home with us. Shorty has also become my goat horse. Last year I was rookie of the year for MN Jr. High Rodeo, and I have the Melby family to thank for that. I am currently sitting first in the breakaway average, and am hoping to make it to nationals this year with Shorty. That fall when I needed a faster barrel horse, our first call was to Jane. Jane had us meet up with Cayla to try a few out. We picked Famous Red Rum. Although he has been a challenge for me to stay consistent with, the Melby family has always been there to help and answer questions. They have helped me break bad habits that I have picked up, and helped me compete the best I can. Everyone in the family is so kind and helpful. I love going to their ranch and learning new things. I am always counting down the days until I can go back! Some of my accomplishments are:
- 2013 WI UBRA 2D 3rd in the average
- 2014 WI UBRA 1D Youth Champion
- 2014/2015 MN Jr. High Rodeo Rookie of the Year
- 2014/2015 MN Jr. High Rodeo National Qualifier in Pole Bending
- 2015 Fast and Furious 1D Average Champion
- 2015 UBRA WI 1D Youth Reserve champion
- 2015 ProElite WI 1D Youth champion
- 2015 MPBA 1D Youth Reserve Champion
- 2015 MPBA MN 1D Youth Champion
The Lucas Family
I have now been riding with Jane for at least 3 years, starting when I first attended one of her clinics back in 2012, which was the start of my love for barrel racing. I had never been competitive, and Jane has definitely helped me with that throughout the years! To this day I've been to 3 of her clinics, and I've been down to her ranch in OK 3 times as well. Jane helped me achieve my goals of being consistent and bringing my old mare Bella to her potential, which wasn't easy, but Jane made is possible. I had never dreamed that my little dun horse would be much of a barrel horse, but with Janes teaching she learned to have perfect patterns which made up for her in speed, which allowed us to start running 1d and 2d times! We won many averages due to our consistency as well, and Jane is to thank for all of it! Then eventually we decided it was time for a faster horse, and Jane and Cayla have helped me so much with her already as well, with the short time I've had her. They've taught me that hard work gets real results and to not give up. My new horse, JJ spent some time in OK with them when I first got her to work out some kinks, and it's been forward since then. With limited runs, she's already placing in the 1d and top of the 2d, which has been one of my goals for s long time. I can't thank Jane and Cayla enough for taking me under their wing when they can and all the advice! I look forward to learning more!
I first met Jane, Ryan, Colton and Cayla in 2009 when I was 10 years old and bought my first step up horse from them. They were still living in their original location in Backus, MN which is only 45 minutes away from my home. I have attended as many of their clinics and taken as many lessons as I could from them since that time. I have purchased several horses and had horses in training with them in the past 6 years. I have traveled down to Oklahoma to see them and take lessons. They have always been warm, welcoming and available to help with whatever question or problem I may have had over the year. I have progressed from running in the 4D at local jackpots and participating in 4H to achieving some major goals. They all took the time to instruct me at the level I was currently at and gave me what I needed to progress to the next level. They helped find me the step up horses I needed to progress successfully. I would never have achieved what I have in the past few years without their help.
- 2014 1D placing at NBHA youth world in Perry, Georgia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSmBcJPuhNU
- 2014 UBRA World North youth 1D champion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA3flhvCKj0
- 2015 MN NBHA youth 1D champion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDoULdTtajk
- 2015 MN National HS rodeo team member in both barrels and pole bending. MN state reserve champion in Barrels and 3rd place in MN in pole bending as a freshman. Won the short go at the state finals in both events. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9G-Fv0FbBY , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifTT_L8znOo
~ Shannon McBride
I met Jane and Ryan Melby in 2013 when we hosted our first clinic. As Jane puts it, "I was a green rider on a green horse." I rode with a lot of emotional baggage and struggled to get beyond the 3D. Jane showed me her path around the barrels and helped me throw off the mental baggage. We were in the 2D that summer! As I conquered one concept to the best of my ability, I would seek out help from the Melbys for the next. In 2014, we were consistently in the 2D and getting an occasional taste of the 1D! I sent my mare to the Melbys for a month with the goal it would push us into the 1D. 2015 proved to be our best year yet!! We placed in the 1D in big barrel races, Reserve 1D NBHA Champions, and pulled checks in the WPRA!! The Melbys ARE the reason for our success. They share ALL their knowledge and experience at their clinics. Their techniques make common sense and they work. Ryan and Jane each see different things in rider and horse. This is a GREAT benefit to those in their clinics and makes The Melby Team Clinics unique and their students successful!! Thanks Jane and Ryan for all you have done for Gracie and I!!! ~ Carla Baumgartner
Over the years, they have also broke and trained multiple horses for us for barrels starting when they lived in MN and has continued even though they are now in OK. These horses were and still are some of the top barrel horses in our area. Including horses we have raised that were out of their stallions.
The Melbys are a hardworking, exceptional family that love passing their knowledge on to others.
Robert & Betty Lou Valdez
We went to Melby's place to try him, where Jane spent several days helping Kelly, and hauling her around to jackpots to make sure this was the right fit.
Since then, Jane, Ryan and Cayla have all helped Kelly with her horses and have been great support. They've provided such great information and experiences for us!
A big thanks,
Robert and Betty Lou Valdez, La Junta, CO
I meet the Jane and Ryan back in 2006 at one of their clinics in Princeton, MN. I did not grow up in a rodeo family, so everything I knew was self-taught. I had to start from square one and break all my bad habits first before I could move forward.
Ryan was an incredible coach and mentor to me. I remember driving to their place every week. He would help me fix one thing per week or until I mastered it. After Ryan helped me with my horsemanship skills, then Jane would help with speed and fine tuning in the barrel pattern. They make an awesome team together to help tune on my horses and myself even today.
I have bought a lot of horses though the Melby’s. They have always helped fit me to the right horse for what I had to spend. The one solid memory I have and I will take with me is when I told Ryan and Jane I was ready for the next step, a pro rodeo horse.
- Ryan looked at me and said “well do know what you want?
- Do you want a horse with a long stride or short stride?
- Do you want a push style horse or free runner?
- A season, solid horse or green horse with potential?
- What kind of horse are you able to win on because not everyone can win on the same horse”
Some accomplishment on theses horse include.
- 2013 -St. Paul MN Pro rodeo
- 5th place -Glenwood City, WI Pro Rodeo
- 1st place - Hamel, MN Pro Rodeo
- 9th place - Clearwater, MN rodeo
- 4th place 2014 -Claremore, OK Pro Rodeo
- 6th place - Medford, WI Pro Rodeo
- 2nd place -Edgewood IA Pro Rodeo
- 4th place - Fergus fall MN Pro Rodeo
- 2nd place - Cowgirl tuff slot race
- 1st place -saddle winner -MN Challenge Pro Elite Challenge
- 4th place slot race - Bulls and barrel Hinckley, MN
- 1st place -Reserve Champion MBRA barrel racer
- Number 17th barrel racer in the Great Lakes circuit 2015
- Bulls and Barrel Veradale MN 1st place
- Madison WI pro rodeo 3rd place
- Stakes rally race winner Hinkley MN
- Cherokee IA pro rodeo 4th
- Bulls and Barrel Somerset, WI 1st place
- Manawa, WI Pro Rodeo 1st place
- Isanti MN Pro Rodeo
- 2nd place - Spooner WI Pro Rodeo 3rd place - Fergus Falls, MN Pro Rodeo 1st place -Waconia, MN Pro Rodeo 3rd place - Sommerset, WI 1st place -CGT Slot Race 1st place - Great Lakes Circuit Finals Round 1- 3rd place -Great lakes Circuit Finals Round 2- 4th place -Great Lakes Circuit Finals Round 3- 2nd place - 2nd in the average Great Lakes Circuit year end standings 4th place
Minnesota Barrel Racing Association Year End Champion
Pro Elite World Challenge Cash Race Reserve World Champion
Meeting the Melbys was the breakthrough I needed for barrel racing, roping, and horsemanship. Over the years I have continued to ride with them and I continue learning new skills to enhance my horsemanship and riding. The Melbys have helped match me with top barrel racing and roping horses and always help keep them tuned up. The great part of buying a horse from the Melbys is that they can read horse and rider and get the right match. I am grateful for all the help the Melbys have given and continue to give me to achieve my goals. I owe a lot of my success to the Melbys.
Sloan Anderson > The Melby Team
Sloan Anderson make a World Championship Winning Run.